today is
*FatHeRs DaY*
Start with a song...
and a darling illustration from sweet jessie...

Growing up at my house, I have memories of just that. Every day when Daddy came home, two little girls - one with bouncy blond curls and another with big eyes and a mischievous grin - would come running. We were sure he hung the moon, and he was just as certain we were the most precious angels ever sent to earth.
Every night after bathtime, Mom would put Nikki and I in our jammies and brush our wet hair, and we would run downstairs to see what Dad had in store for the last event of the day. Play-dough, marbles, stories, we did it all.
Nikki was the baby, and she was definitely the carefree, unpredictable one. Dad loved to play outside with her, and he helped her play just about every sport that ever came down the line. She kept him laughing, made him so proud, and definitely kept him on his toes.
As for me, I was the oldest, the "guinea pig," as I like to say. But I must admit, Dad did great with his first child. We both grew together, and sure, we had a couple hard times, but right from the very start, I was his "Cutie Pie," his "Daddy's Girl." (And you better believe I made sure everyone knew it.)
He called me Booger Head and read me Cinderfella. He teased me with booshalapooka and helped me enter coloring contests. We did science projects together and did sand art at the county fair. Dad wasted countless hours trying to explain heating/air conditioning concepts to a girl who just didn't care. He gave me "A&W; Root Beer Stand" coupons to use whenever I wanted to go there with him. (They were so special to me, I refused to "use" them.) He helped keep me from making choices I'd later regret, and he has always been my strength.
Most importantly though, Dad guided me on the right paths, and he built me a foundation that I'll never lose. One of my favorite memories is the night I somehow wound up crawling onto his bed while he was reading his Bible. Although I don't remember the specifics, I do remember that Dad read to me from John and explained to me the vine and the branches while he sketched a picture to help me understand it better.
Things like that happened a lot. If it weren't for my dad, I would not have the relationship with my Heavenly Father that I do today. Not a single doubt about it. Anytime I questioned God, Dad was always right there with a gentle voice to read His promises to me. He has always had a perfect balance of providing the guidance I needed while giving me exactly the amount of space I needed to figure things out on my own. He'd wait and silently cheer me on, but at the same time, he seemed to always know when I was going to fall. Sometimes in his wisdom, he would let me fall flat on my face and just be there to hold me when I got back up. Other times, he knew the fall would be too great, and he caught me just in time. Just like another Father I know.
I am blessed.
*~* <3 *~*
Well, in usual Amanda fashion, I went to a zillion stores looking for the perfect card. This is what I found. It's perfect for my daddy, just perfect...
Thank you, Dad,
for all the years
of giving and caring,
of patient teaching,
and loving discipline.
Thank you for all the years
of listening to my problems,
guiding me into making
my own decisions,
and sharing my disappointments
as well as my dreams.
Thank you
for loving me enough
to hold me close
when I needed you most,
and for loving me enough
to let me go out on my own.
I am who I am because of all you've done
and been for me.
I'll always be grateful, Dad,
and I'll always love you.
*~* <3 *~*
As much as I love the sentimental, let's get onto the festivities! :)
My mom's entire side of the family went out to lunch to celebrate our dads. Nikki and I got Dad Star Trek DVDs (not a single childhood memory of mine doesn't have that theme song playing in the background!!) and I think Nikki took the prize this year for best Father's Day gift...
When Nikki was little (3ish? 4ish?), Dad would take her outside and play catch until the sun was long gone and Mom said it was time for bed. They had so much fun together, and their little practices were what helped Nikki find her interest in softball and develop early skills. (Well, minus the time there was a small, umm, dental casualty... ha!!) Soooo, the other week at the end of Nikki's last high school softball game, Dad took her out onto the field to end it just like it began... with a simple game of catch. He was soooo excited about it, so Nikki thought of something absolutely perfect for Fathers Day. She took that very same softball, signed her name and wrote:
May 1, 2008
Senior Night
Dad - my 1st throwing partner
<3
Happy Father's Day
I believe that ball is going to a very special place...
My daddy sure loves his two girls, and I know we love him just as much.



















































1 comment:
Every day that I have with you is something I treasure. Just saying ‘thank you’ for fighting like you do on a daily basis is nowhere near enough especially when I know you fight so hard to be with me. It makes me love you more and fight for you more.
Post a Comment