PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

May 6, 2008

Happy National Nurses Week 2008!!

This year's theme is Making a Difference Everyday!
NNW08cms
The American Nurses Association has a great page of the history of this special week, and they also have a page full of facts about our amazing profession.

And here is a reminder of the Florence Nightingale Nurses Pledge written in 1893 by a nursing school committee, and they named it in honor of the founder of modern nursing herself.


I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.

It's kind of interesting how things are a little different now - we have morphed into a autonomous profession, but we still abide by the revolutionary simple truths that Florence laid out for us. I've often wondered if she would be proud, and I think of the profession as a whole, she most definitely would be.

This is our week. We must be grateful of our profound opportunities and humble towards our great intelligent, emotional, and spiritual abilities. We must remember how blessed it is to be honored with such a calling. Few people have such special gifts, and we must not ever forget to share them with the world.

No comments:

 
© 2011 Infusion Design Studios