February is Library Lovers' Month.
My Library
by Varda One
It's only a room with shelves and books,
but it's far more magical than it looks
It's a jet on which I soar
to lands that exist no more.
Or a key with which I find
answers to questions crowding my mind.
Building my habit of learning and growing,
asking and researching till I reach knowing.
Here, I've been a mermaid and an elf
I've even learned to be more myself.
I think that I shall never see
a place that's been more useful to me.
With encouraging kind friends with wit
Who tell me to dream big and never quit.
It's only a room with shelves and books,
but it's far more magical than it looks.
I love to read, and I know it's mostly due to my mother who read to me religiously since well, probably my first days of life. I can remember going to our public library all the time with my mom and sister, and I'd look forward to Summer when we could join the reading contest. I think I was the only kid in my elementary school classes who loved Library Class, and I'm absolutely positive I won the award for being most fascinated with the Dewey Decimal System. I loved library field trips, and there was nothing more fun than signing my name in my best second-grade-cursive on the back of a shiny, new library card. I loved Story Time days, American Girl events, and I loved, loved, loved the new book section where I'd select just the perfect big-girl "chapter book." Chapter books... now that was big stuff.
Even now, my fascination with libraries has not subsided. What would I possibly do if I owned all of those books? Well in all actuality, they are just as good as mine - I have access to every one of them, and it would be a lie to say I couldn't learn anything I wanted because so many people have written so many books full of ideas, histories, teachings, and fairy tales.... and each one of them is at the library.
So rediscover your library this month. Go get a book and indulge yourself in it. Return it on time. Be nice to the librarians - they are lovely people and are all wealths of knowledge.
The library is yours, so don't you think it's about time you paid it a visit?
Download these bookmarks and share the love.



















































No comments:
Post a Comment