PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

May 14, 2009

Seriously, Shonda Rhimes? Seriously?

[Grey's Spoiler alert if you DVR'ed!]


Dear Shonda Rhimes...


As the creator, producer, and sometimes-writer of Grey's Anatomy... I used to hold utmost respect for you.  Used to.  


Until last night.


I had no qualms with you ever before, but in regards to last night?


You seriously expect to leave us like that for FOUR months?! Seriously? 


You think your 30+ million American viewers alone would be okay with an ending like that?  I hope you are feeling a little outnumbered right about now.


Going into your big double-episode season finale event, we all knew there would be cliffhangers like would Izzie let Derek operate on her brain again?  Would Owen and Cristina be okay, or would our battlescarred soldier get the boot?  Would Meredith and Derek ever tie the knot?  What's really up with Sloan and Little Grey?  Bailey and the fellowship?


Now those questions were fair game.


But the questions you managed to conjure in the first 2 hours and 54 minutes?  Who said you could do that?  Who said you could take us for about a billion twists and turns and then tie our dizzy eyes in knots and then jab pens into them for the last 6 minutes of the show?!  Those 360 seconds about sent me into a code myself!


Seriously, Shonda Rhimes, don't you love your adoring fans?


But alas, I should have known you wouldn't take the easy way out on any of this.  George?  Of course you couldn't let him just go join the army.  You had to send him to the edge of death.  You had to let him be George and save a life.  Izzie?  You couldn't let her choose the surgery, taunt us with the possibility of her losing her memory, let us see her struggling, bring her back, and then BAM, take her to meet Geroge?! In the prom dress of all things?! And way to play us - anyone who doesn't live in a pop-news-bubble knows that the past year has been filled with rumors of Katherine Heigl and TR Knight being dissatisfied with their Grey's contracts, wanting to leave... whatever.  But you want us to wait FOUR months to see which one we lose, or rather, whether or not we lose both of them?


I knew you were crossing your boundaries when you brought Denny back for a "bonus" episode.  And sure, I guess I underestimated you until Mom and Jonathan figured out that George was John Doe long before I even had a clue.  I underestimated you when my heart was finally at peace for Izzie... the love of her and Alex.  Beautiful.  I really did savor it, Shonda... until I saw her hand drop - I winced and then yep, I knew it - she began to code.  And I'm not even going to tell you how upset I am that you let a room full of doctors work to resuscitate Izzie while her chart, clearly labeled "DNR" laid right in front of them.  Now Alex, I could see him crossing the line.  But a room full of doctors?  Don't get me wrong, I want Isobel Stevens alive.  But the medical purist I am couldn't believe you even had the Chief himself say, "Screw the DNR." Each one of those doctors would have at that point lost their license... must be nice to be on TV, right?  


And then throw in the Bailey drama?  Whether or not she'd take up the peds joint couldn't be enough for you, oh Shonda.  You had to send her into a breakdown and make us realize that although hidden just as quickly as previously brought up,  Miranda Bailey's marriage is at stake. 


Shonda Rhimes, I loathe you right now.  I will loathe you until September, and then somehow I'm pretty sure I won't be able to help but to fall in love with you all over again.


Thank you for picking up a season that was off to a rocky start.  Think about getting back to the greatness that was Season 2.  Season 6 will be it, let it be it, please.


That's all.


.....


Updated with BREAKING NEWS: SHONDA INTERVIEW and RECAP
Both on Entertainment Weekly:
Grey's Anatomy Recap: 'Love Stories' by Jennifer Armstrong
Exclusive: 'Grey's' boss on finale's Izzie-George shocker, Mer-Der 'wedding', and more! by Michael Ausiello


1 comment:

jenn said...

I can only imagine how deeply your heart hurt that night. This is your journey that God carefully and meticulously planned. He did that for a reason, so you could bring Him glory, rain or shine. Dance for Him, sing for Him, live for Him and no matter what happens or how many degrees you get, if you are living for Him then you are living the life He intended for you! Your spirit is beautiful and your light shines. If you can let it shine in the darkness then girl your light will shine forever! xoxo jenn


 
© 2011 Infusion Design Studios