PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Jun 11, 2009

Doing it all over again

Practice does not make perfect, and familiarity does not ease the pain.  


Xanax wears off to quickly, fentanyl cannot be taken forever, and the journey out of anesthesia happens all too quickly as far as I'm concerned.


Tuesday was probably my 8-12th esophageal varice ligation.  I'm going to try to explain the whats and whys as best as I can, but impaired liver function prolongs drug processing, therefore making me still pretty much all over the place from all the pain meds and anesthetics.   Then there's the post-anesthesia headache and abdominal pressure of a tornado trying to knock me over.  But I'm trying, so here goes...


Breakdown what I have: Primary sclerosing cholangitis.  Primary meaning basic, sclerosing meaning enabling abnormal hardening or thickening, choloangitis meaning inflammation of the bile ducts.  So basically, it's an abnormal inflammation (including hardening and thicknening) of the liver's bile ducts and vasculature.  Over time, the tissue just dies (whch is where PSC turns into cirrhosis).  If you think about the liver's size of a football and the amount of bodily functions it executes, fluids it excretes, and nutrients it processes, it's easy to see how even slight tissue death is detrimental.  Even as the tissue continues to die, the blood, bile, nutrients, and waste products still need somewhere to go.  Something called the portal vein is capable of handling 75% of hepatic blood flow, but it's no match to a badly damaged liver.  Ducts and vasculature inherently form collaterals and develop shunts in efforts to find somewhere to go, and what better place to go to than the large portal vein?  Unfortunately, the portal vein is not equipped for such volume and a complication called portal hypertension develops.


The cirrhosis-driven portal hypertension causes many implications, one being the developoment of varices, blood vessels that are stretched and weakened from all of the pressure.  They develop anywhere the pressure is intense, and advanced cases like mine eventually produce them all over all of the organs in the body.  The danger is rupture from the pressure, as internal bleeding will happen.  There's not much to do with internal varices, but due to many factors, a common site of varices is the esophagus.  The esophagus is accessible enough that it is the least minimal site to safely treat at least some of the varices, so doctors have begun "banding" esophageal varices in patients at risk for variceal rupture.  Rupture is an enormous concern since liver patients typically have low blood volumes and minimal clotting factors, so being prophylactic in this situation is not only ideal but critical.  To band a varice, a liver surgeon will go down an anesthesized patient's esophagus (throat) with special tools, locate dilated varices (essentially blood vessels), and release  tiny rubber bands around each bumpy varice.  Eventually (usually within a few days), the tight band is enough to shut down complete blood supply to the varice and cause it to simply fall off and be eliminated.  The downfall is repeated occasions can cause nerve damage, spasms, and severe choking episodes (which is all where I am now), but when held to the alternative option of death from rupture, it's easy to know which to choose.


Surprisingly, and thankfully, things didn't look too bad on Tuesday.  (Relatively speaking!)  Here's the images my doctor took:



Compared with an image I found from 2 years ago:



(As you can see, in this photo, my doctor is actually banding a group of varices)


So we just wait awhile until it's time to do it all over again......


 


For more clarification, here is one of the best videos of this procedure I've ever seen.  It is by Dr. Galati of Texas Liver Specialists.  










Come join us for support at the PSC Hope Network
 


 


17 comments:

Rose Ridge Creations said...

Special Yart Sale Price! Half Off this one of a kind sling purse! http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23846144


Elephunk said...

Thanks so much for the opportunity!

Everything in Elephunk’s Eyes is BOGO free for the yart! I have photograph prints, greeting cards, and magnets.

ElephunksEyes.Etsy.com

And everything in Elephunk’s Trunk is marked down 20%! Hats, fascinators, coin purses, and ribbon chokers!

ElephunksTrunk.etsy.com


jazziesjunque said...

My Yart Sale Offer is 20% off - before shipping- on any item in my shop.

You’ll find altered art supplies, vintage and handmade items as well.

Come on in and have fun shopping.


Patterns And Such said...

20 % off your purchase (not including shipping) at Patterns And Such - click the link below at posted by… and I ship internationally!


Sunny of The Beehive said...

Happy Yart Shopping! I’m offering $5 off all orders in my Etsy shop, The Beehive, where I sell scrapbooks, premade layouts and lots of other fantastic paper goodies. *psst* I also give $5 off a future purchase to first time buyers!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5349807


Denise said...

thank you so much for promoting the Yart Sale and being a loyal Etsy shopper!


Terri Taylor said...

YART SALE deal o’ the day is 20% off single greeting cards.

If you like sassy, snarky stuff - then you’ve come to the right Etsy shop.


Sara said...

Lots of destash fabric and ribbon going on in my Yart Sale today.  More going up in between packing for vacation (don’t worry everything will ship before I go).  Mention Code: Crazy Miracle and get 20% of any non yart items.


parasox said...

Buy nothing for something! Yup, I sell nothing on Etsy - check it out at http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26004154

Amanda, thanks so much for helping sellers out!


Kokopinto said...

YART Sale! Playdoh critters come to life in printable stationery sets. 40% off! From $5 to $3 per set and from $10 to $6 for 3 sets! Each set includes gift tags, notecards, envelope, stationery templates! Grab ‘em now!


Tracy Bruni said...

YART SALE! Take an extra 10% off YART SALE items, not including shipping.  I’ll refund your 10% via PayPal w/in 48 hours of confirmed payment. Have fun shopping!


jenn rosen said...

20%-30% off selected earrings and necklaces plus $1 shipping to any US location! http://bit.ly/2ziQuj <—Check out my shop, and thanks!


Traci said...

Thanks for the opportunity, Amanda!

My Yart sale is 10% off everything in my shop, except the Yart sale section, which is 25% off. Free shipping to the US and Canada.


Jo Ann Gallagher said...

Yart Sale:

60+ Jewelry & Bead Items Marked Down 40-60%!!!! Many beads marked down to $1.00!!!

♥ I have decided to continue the FREE SHIPPING on any item in my shop throughout the Yart Sale!!! ♥

gallagj.etsy.com


Marja said...

Love the Yart sales!  I have a special section with 20% off unique fused glass.  Come take a look:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6256529&section_id=6188851

And Free Shipping on ANYTHING in my shop, today, 6/14, only! Just mention YartItUp in notes to seller.  Thanks!


Katy said...

Thanks Amanda! Check out my clearance section for some great YART deals! Also have free shipping in the USA on any item in my shop!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6762033


James said...

Thanks for pimping the Yart Sale!  I lowered my prices on everything like this:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26028036

Come visit my shop.


 
© 2011 Infusion Design Studios